Have you made your New Year’s Resolutions for 2017 yet? While many of us take the opportunity this time of year to create new habits, there’s one important area you might be neglecting: setting a goal to reduce stress in your life.
While therapists and life coaches will tell you the best way to reduce stress is to work fewer hours or avoid tense situations, in our fast-paced modern world this can seem impossible. Luckily, there’s one powerful way to reduce stress without giving away your worldly possessions and relocating to a mountaintop in the Himalayas: massage therapy.
Here are just a few of the reasons massage therapy is so effective at melting away stress:
1. Stress affects more than just your mind. Research has found that stress affects every part of your body – when you carry too much tension, it seems natural that it can lead to muscle stiffness and pain. But what you might not realize is that, according to the Mayo clinic, it’s also linked to headaches, fatigue, stomach problems, and difficulty sleeping. When you enjoy a relaxing massage session at our clinic, you’ll be doing your stressed-out body a favor.
2. Massage is the perfect way to lift your mood. Think about it – during times of high stress, do you ever find yourself feeling anxious or depressed? Do you have trouble relaxing and getting the rest you need? Is it hard to focus or get things done? Maybe you feel overwhelmed, or just unusually irritable. Whatever effect stress has on your mood, a massage is one of the most relaxing and enjoyable ways to let your daily stress simply disappear.
3. Relieving stress can make it easier to meet your other goals for the year. Did you know that a startling 90% of people don’t end up keeping their resolutions each year? Part of the reason for that is that daily stress makes it hard for people to control their behavior. The Mayo Clinic has linked stress to overeating, drug and alcohol abuse, tobacco use and social withdrawal – it’s even a major reason people tend to slack on their exercise plan. Keeping your stress in check is one of the best ways to stay on track to meet your goals.
4. Have a chronic illness or injury? Massage therapy may help. Preliminary research has shown that massage therapy can even help patients manage the pain and stress of chronic health issues, including joint pain, sports injuries, soft tissue injuries, digestive disorders, and even hard-to-manage conditions like fibromyalgia. When combined with a treatment program from your regular physician, it can do wonders!
5. Massage therapy leads to a healthier heart. Research has shown that regular
massage therapy helps lower blood pressure and heart rate, reducing the strain on your heart and helping you maintain a healthier circulatory system. Whether you’re working to be healthier, or trying to stay in shape, massage is a powerful tool to help you reach your fitness goals.
At Aligned Modern Health, our therapists are trained in both clinical and wellness massage therapy, which is often covered by insurance. We offer a range of styles, including Swedish, Deep Tissue, Sports, Prenatal, and more. If you would like to learn more about our massage therapy offerings or to schedule an appointment, visit us here for a complimentary consultation – or call, 773.598.4387.
Do your resolutions need a reboot? Join us for a “New Year, New You” and enjoy extra support this January with insider tips, weekly motivation, and free wellness events! Sign up here for free meal planning downloads and invites to exclusive wellness events!