While we gear up into the full speed of running season, we have to remember to always put our health first. We get it! – Accidents and injuries do happen but the good news is we’re here to help. Keep reading for tips from our Chiropractic Physical Medicine team on how to prevent and learn more about some of the most common running injuries!
Watch the video below for tips on how to avoid Plantar Fasciitis with Dr. Elena Hernandez, DC, our Southport Chiropractic Physician.
What is Plantar Fasciitis?
Plantar fasciitis is an overuse injury that affects the bottom of the foot. The plantar fascia is the tissue that connects the heel bone to the toes and creates the arch of the foot. It acts as a shock-absorber with each step. Plantar fasciitis occurs when the tissue is swollen or inflamed from tiny tears in the ligament. Plantar fasciitis is the most common cause of heel pain. Some key cues before injury are Heel/foot pain in the morning (first few steps out of bed), or pain with toe off during run or calf tightness.
Prevention for Plantar Fasciitis
- Rule out lumbar spine involvement; Check integrity of ankle joint and foot joints. Our Physical Medicine team would be happy to do this in a Sports Movement Screening.
- Work on calf tightness with myofascial release on a lacrosse ball or a foam roll.
- Work on fascial tension on bottom of foot – with myofascial release as well.
- Strengthen intrinsic foot muscles –by doming, towel curls, and toe spread resistance band.
- Hip extension stretches/exercises – stretch hip flexors, bridges, single leg extension over ball.
About Chiropractic Physical Medicine
Chiropractic Care is a safe, non-invasive course of treatment that can be used as a first line of defense against pain. At Aligned Modern Health, Chiropractic Care is about finding the correct diagnosis and treating the root cause. Our Chicago Chiropractors take pride in helping each patient progressively achieve their goals and live life to the fullest. Whether you’re an endurance athlete, a new or expectant mom, someone who works long hours at a desk job, or anyone in between, it’s our mission to ensure that you can live with less pain, prevent further injury or reoccurrence, and continue to enjoy everything you love.
Fill out the form below to schedule an appointment or free sports movement screening.
Please fill out the form to request an appointment at our health and wellness center for the service and location of your preference. We try to get back to all requests as quickly as possible. If you need immediate assistance, please call 773-598-4387.