TMJ Disorder (Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction or Syndrome ) describes the pain and/or limited movement in the jaw joint and the muscles that surround it.
Due to the rise of recent complaints in TMJ, some have dubbed the troubling condition, “Quaran-teeth.” While there are several reasons an individual may experience TMJ dysfunction, stress is a common cause of teeth grinding and jaw clenching that leads to oral damage and temporomandibular joint pain.
Signs of TMJ include:
- Reoccurring headaches that may also feel like migraines
- Muscle spasms within the jaw, face, or neck
- Pain or difficulty opening or closing your jaw
- Clicking of the jaw or lockjaw (when your jaw locks in place)
- Pain or discomfort when chewing
- Joint pain not relieved with over-the-counter pain relievers
- Aches in the face, ears, or mouth
- A feeling as though the upper and lower teeth don’t fit together well
- Notable pressure on the jaw joint
Without treatment, TMJ can worsen and even cause pain that radiates into your shoulders and back. At Aligned Modern Health, we have been helping those suffering from TMJ with treatments in acupuncture, chiropractic care, or a combination of both therapies. Medical treatment and prescribed self-care exercises can reduce teeth clenching and help alleviate pain right away while also preventing further symptoms of TMJ.
If you are living with pain, discomfort, or rising levels of stress on your body, we can help. Connect with our team to schedule your next appointment! Fill out the form below to get started.
Please fill out the form to request an appointment at our health and wellness center for the service and location of your preference. We try to get back to all requests as quickly as possible. If you need immediate assistance, please call 773-598-4387.