The high temps are gone and so are the easy go to smoothies of summer. Here comes fall in Chicago with the lake front chill and hot drinks. There are a lot of great things about fall, and warming and comforting food is at the top of the list! A fall meal must include warming spices and a pleasant aroma, and that’s just what we put together for you! Use these recipes all at once, or break them up to have on their own. Together or separate they are nothing short of delicious and satisfying!
A Paleo-Mediterranean diet has been shown to result in improvement of overall health and a lessening of the severity of many health conditions, in particular, those with autoimmune or inflammatory components.
Bacon Wrapped Pears Dusted with Cinnamon
Ingredients: 2 pears quartered, 8 slices of bacon, cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400, line a baking sheet with parchment
- Wrap each quarter of a pear with bacon and place on parchment
- Cook for 30 minutes or until bacon is crispy
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy!
Sautéed Squash and Pecans
Ingredients: large squash cut into 1 inch cubes (butternut or acorn squash works well), 1/2 c raw pecans, 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Place cubes of squash in pan with 1/4 c water over medium heat and cover to steam for 8-10 minutes until soft
- While squash is cooking sauté pecans in 1 tbsp oil over low medium heat
- When squash is done, empty water and add remaining tbsp of oil plus pecans
- Add sea salt and cinnamon or nutmeg to taste
- Some grocery stores have precut squash that make this even easier!
Hearty Kale Salad
Ingredients: 1 large bag of chopped kale, 2 grated carrots, 1/4 c minced red onion, cucumber sliced, 2 cooked beets sliced (prepackaged), 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp minced garlic, 1/2 lemon juiced, salt and pepper to taste
- Place kale in a large bowl and add 1 tbsp olive oil
- Massage kale until it softens
- Combine with carrots, onion, cucumber, and beets
- In a small bowl combine remaining olive oil, garlic, lemon, and salt and pepper to drizzle on top
About Functional Medicine
Our Functional Medicine & Clinical Nutrition team addresses the underlying cause of disease. Examining dietary, lifestyle, genetic, and environmental factors, we are able to uncover and effectively treat the root cause of health concerns. Informed by thorough clinical and diagnostic testing, we create individualized plans to help your patients achieve optimal health through focused one-on-one sessions. Click the button below to schedule an appointment.Schedule an Appointment